Because it’s good to have goals, or so they tell me. These are the reading goals I’ve set for myself this year:
- Read at least 50 books. This should be doable. My goal last year was 45 and I ended up doing 56. But that was counting comic book volumes, so maybe we won’t count those this time.
- Continue reading more diverse books. Specifically more books with POC and LGBT protagonists. I started doing this last year and it made for a richer overall reading experience. I’m biracial myself so I’m always on the lookout for stories about people like me.
- Read more contemporary books. I’ve kind of been ignoring contemporary as a genre until I came across some contemporary books that I loved in the final months of 2017. Maybe I haven’t been giving this genre a fair shake.
- Continue prioritizing books by female authors. Because women’s stories are important.
- Be pickier about my reading choices. It’s easy to get caught up in the cycle of hype and reviews but sometimes you have to trust your instincts.
- Be more vigilant about problematic aspects. Such as cultural appropriation, sexism, etc. It’s 2017. Time to aim a little higher.
- Try to actually keep up with the blog this time! We’ll see how that goes.
What about you, friends: have you set any reading goals or challenges for yourself this year? Tell me all about it! I’d love to hear from you. 🙂